Problem with kernel upgrade.

Geoff Hacker geoff.hacker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 00:49:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:32:08 -0500, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> 1.  You used rpm -Uvh.  this REPLACES the original kernel, so if there
> are problems you cannot go back.
> if you had used rpm -ivh it would have added the new kernel without
> replacing the original.
>
> These problems are why up2date and yum were modified to default to an
> install instead of an update for kernels.
> ("yum update kernel" actually does a "yum install kernel")

Point taken. I was going to try an rpm -i --force on the same RPM
packages tonight when I get home, as per Sam's suggestion.

> 2.  Have you rebooted?  If not the old kernel is still running.

I've rebooted several times now, to no avail.

> 3.  The new 2.6 kernel uses /etc/modprobe.conf and not
> /etc/modules.conf. Thus that is where you would look for modules to be
> loaded and if necessary you may need to move modules entries over.

Thanks. That's somewhere else for me to look and see that everything
is configured correctly.

> 4.  Are you using grub or lilo to boot? grub should read the grub.conf
> file, but lilo may need the lilo command run to fix the boot sector.

How can I find out which one my system is currently using? I currently
have the configuration files for both on my machine. If my system uses
lilo, is the "lilo" command by itself all that I would need to run?