any hints on status of FC3 t1?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 01:24:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 10:05, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:

>>Red Hat/Fedora keeps moving the finishing line again before everyone
>>will nearly reaches it e.g. because October is coming up so that means
>>upgrade time.

I think that you have to look at Fedora as a system that has a snapshot
every 6 months or so. With this approach, it does not stay confined with
outdated programs. The bad side would be on programs that are your
favorite that are removed or relocated to another repository.

>>Okay -  so what is being done in FC3 to resolve FC2's open issues.
>>Can anyone respond?

With any general question, the open issues arena is too broad to comment
on. Which open issues are not being resolved in FC2?

>>What changes are there to make it worth my trouble to upgrade?

If you are interested in newer versions of programs, this might be a
desired option. Things seem to work pretty decent with the first test.
Mozilla is version 1.7. Grub has a feature which hides the menu and you
have to hit a key to display the menu. (Install).

Openoffice is version 1.1.1, Fedora Extra programs like bittorrent work.

> that's a question you have to decide for yourself.

ditto - :-)

>>2. Will there be a proper UPGRADE script rather if all fails (most often
>>   from this list) then the only solution is a FRESH INSTALL
>>   (this should really be a SHOW Stopper)

This sounds like a windows (tm) solution. It all depends upon how badly
your system software setup becomes. I really messed up one system with
the below command. I was able to repair it with redcarpet.

rpm -ivh *.rpm --nodeps  - (A very bad idea)

Needless to say, this installed packages newer and left old packages on
the system. Ximian's redcarpet resolver surprisingly corrected my
system. It did not get a freash install. A program with this capability
would be a good idea for Fedora.

>>There hasn't been any forth coming news that these and other issues will
>>be resolved in FC3. How about - will FC3 respond to some of the
>>application developers' needs? Because we are open to all ideas and
>>trying to help each other and what response can be given and by when?

There are some of the developers who are very quick to resolve problems.
There are some that reassign bugs before getting more clarification from
bug reporters. Overall, we are all people with different dispositions
and look at problems from different angles. With this said, you could
either disappoint the developer or spawn a resolution to the problems
through idea exchanges. I imagine either coming across as either a know
all type or a complainer might meet with poor results.

>>Maybe a little news as to what FC3 will/can do may clear up some of our
>>predisposed ideas, especially like mine or some others who were
>>unceremoniously flamed.

Personally, I was impressed as to how decent the development tree has
been throughout the time FC2 was released and up to the FC3T1 ISO
release. I did not have too many problems. (Some conflicts, not many,
resolved in a few days time.)

There is no sense in flaming someone for inquiring about the direction
Fedora is going. Then again, flaming can be a misinterpretation between
different personalities and how they present their ideas.

>>Is there anyone who will provide some insight into FC3?
>
> ---
> FC 3 isn't on topic here. This list is for official releases only and
> there is a fedora-testing list for release candidates (testing) which is
> what FC 3 is until it is released.

If this list is to be about only FC2 and neither FC1 or FC3 beta, the
list would be FC2 or called current release something. The title says
for users of Fedora Core Releases. FC3T1 has been released to the wild
now. (This is subjective)

> As you have probably noticed, there is a lot of traffic on this list and
> it doesn't need the extra burden of discussing off topic releases.

As with any subject, if someone replies to an "off-topic" subject,
conversations will continue. This reply is a good example.

In short, you want less bugs for FC3. Find the bugs and report them. If
the problems are not detected with so many hardware setups, you'll end
up passing the critters onto the final release.

Jim

--
All things that are, are with more spirit chased than enjoyed.
		-- Shakespeare, "Merchant of Venice"