grub with fc2

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 02:10:54 UTC 2004

Doug Maurer wrote:
> I've noticed since FC2 and now fc3 test1, that when I run up2date and it
> has a new kernel that after rebooting the machine it still defaults to
> the original installed kernel. Its doing it on two machines I have FC2
> and FC3test1 on. Anyone else experience this, know of a fix?

Though editing /etc/grub.conf with an editor and changing the default=
line to match up to wherever your new kernel is located to would be the
way to change it.

Also, if all goes well with the new kernel, uninstall the older kernel
and see if the new kernel becomes default.

And my favorite way.

up2date system-config-boot

Then under the menu, choose system settings > bootloader (Enter
password) and select the new kernel with the simple GUI interface.

Though this is a limited featured program, it is great for default
settings and for adjusting the timeout, in a short amount of time and
limited keystrokes.

Jim

--
The Public is merely a multiplied "me."