i810fb on FC2 help

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 03:17:30 UTC 2004

Michael wrote:
>>Does this problem keep your computer running at 640 x 480 resolution? I
>>installed FC3T1 on a Dell computer with an 828656 Graphics Controller. I
>>could run system-config-display as root, setup the resolution, but
>>display is still in 640 x 480 mode.
>>GUI ---> System Settings > Display
>>
>>With the gnome-display-settings program.
>>GUI --> Preferences > Screen Resolution, it would not allow any choices.
>>
>>I believe there was mention by someone awhile ago about this problem,
>>I'm not sure they got an answer back or found a solution. Since it is
>>still in test1, I assume the problem is still there.
>>
>>Is this card supposed to be recognized as an 845?
>>
>>Jim
>

> No, it shows up as;
> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset
> Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
>
> I think your talking about an X problem right? I'm just trying to do a
> console framebuffer with the i810fb driver.

Yep! This is with X. I saw the 810 and didn't think about what the fb
meant for framebuffering.

> But as for why you would maybe having problems with X on a Dell with that
> chipset.... Check into your logs and see if it is having a problem
> allocating video memory. Dell has this habit of breaking intel firmware by
> changing the I/O address for shadow memory allocation after they recieve
> working boards from their manufacturers. So what could be happening to you
> is when X tries to allocate the shared memory, it hits intels normal I/O
> address, finds nothing there and gives up with about 1 meg of memory to
> use which pretty much gives you 640x480 at 24bpp. You can try setting it
> to 16pbb and 800x600, or 8bpp at 1024x768 and see if it give you the
> resolution your after. (and that will tell you if you have a dell
> hacked/broken intel firmware)

The 1 meg memory suggestion was given on another list also. I'll look
into this tommorrow to see if the BIOS is setup to 1 meg and increase it
  for a fix attempt. The computer hasrev A03 BIOS so I'll probably have
to try some settings in xorg.conf that were suggested.

> If that is the case (like you have something like a Inspiron 1100, 5100,
> m500. you didn't specify or I could better help you) A workaround for X
> has been committed to both branches (xorg and xfree86) about a year ago.
> So FC2T1 might already include it... But it is specific to the Dell model.

This machine has a P4 processor w/ multithreading. I never paid
attention to the exact model. (committed to memory) I'll check the model
of the machine out when I get to work.

> -Mike

Thanks for the info regarding the I/O addressing and other ideas.

Jim