A simple question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 16 10:27:40 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 01:26, sajiv wrote:
>A simple question !!!
>
>- Advansys SCSI PCI controller which was
>supported/detected by the installation process till
>RedHat Linux 9 IS NOW ...not detected by the fedora
>installation process ???? why ???

Humm, its gotten that far has it?  You and I may be the only 2 users
with advansys cards.  The driver is old, and unmaintained, and in the
view of the kernel coders, full of races, so it not being built at
all if you don't have the box that says something about drivers that
compile cleanly unchecked in the make xconfig screen.

Its a shame IMO, its a hell of a good card, doing everything right in
terms of termination and other hardware details that make a scsi bus
dependable instead of needing virgins sacrificed over it weekly to
keep it working, something I personally have had a hell of a time
with when the card had an adaptec label on it.  I'd swear to this day
that the adaptec designers have never understood the concept and
operating principles of a transmission line, which is what a scsi bus
is.  Yes, I'm an rf broadcast engineer, and I DO know about such
things.

Anyway, uncheck that box in the first window of the xconfig screen and
then you will see that under scsi drivers, the advansys driver will
now show up.  It will kick out 2 warnings during the compile, but it
should work.