grub with fc2

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 16 14:17:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 05:41, David Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:39:55PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 10:17, Doug Maurer wrote:
> > > I've noticed since FC2 and now fc3 test1, that when I run up2date and it
> > > has a new kernel that after rebooting the machine it still defaults to
> > > the original installed kernel. Its doing it on two machines I have FC2
> > > and FC3test1 on. Anyone else experience this, know of a fix?
> > >

> > Others told you to manually edit grub.conf.
> >
> > If you use yum instead of up2date it will automatically make the new
> > kernel the default.
> >
> > Your choice of which you prefer.
> >

> I got the same answer when I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago.
> But if yum does the right thing, and up2date did the right thing in FC1,
> might the up2date behaviour in FC2 qualify as a bug?
>
> I think it is very confusing this way, and potentially dangerous; people
> may believe they are running the latest kernels when they are not.
>
> David

I agree it may be a bit disconcerting.  Some people seem to prefer
up2date and its behavior over that of yum.  I personally see no problem
with having both behaviors available because we don't all fit the same
mold.

AFAICT, if people do not know which kernel they are booting they are
either blind (cant see the menu when booting) or don't care (never look
at the screen anyway).  They also would have to NEVER run uname in order
to remain ignorant of which kernel is in use.

In any case, ignoring the kernel in use is their choice and I hardly
feel it is up to me to force one or the other behavior on the tools
used.

YMMV