Red-Carpet, Yum, and up2date

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 16:15:21 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:50, Andrew Konosky wrote:
>

>>Well, since I started with Linux in RH8, I have been using up2date to
>>get the official updates, but I didn't know about programs like yum,
>>apt, and red-carpet untill I really took the linux plunge with FC2.
>>
>>For the last two weeks or so that I have been running FC2, I have been
>>using yum to update and install stuff, but for some reason yum would not
>>see the same updates that up2date sees.
>>

>I believe that this is most likely to be caused by one or both of two
>things: either the mirrors yum is using are lagging slightly behind the
>mirrors that up2date are using, or that your yum.conf file is missing an
>entry for Fedora Core 2 Updates Released.
>

>>Now I switched to red-carpet and get the same thing.
>>

>Are you subscribed to the right channels? In a terminal,
>
>rug ch
>
>will list the channels and tell you what you are subscribed to.
>

>>In up2date, it says it is using a yum channel, so I
>>copied the url and tried to add it into red-carpet, but it can't connect.
>>

>I don't believe that you can add a yum channel as a service directly in
>Red Carpet or rug in that way. What the Red Carpet developers mean when
>they say that Red Carpet now supports yum repositories is this: if a
>third party has a yum repository, then the Open Carpet server software
>that the rcd daemon connects to can import that and provide it as a Red
>Carpet channel without the third party having to do anything at their
>end.
>

>>I like red carpet better, since up2date freezes up on me almost every
>>other time I use it. How do I get red carpet to use the up2date channel?
>>

>You need to subscribe to the fedora-updates channel.
>
>Best, Darren

I am subscribed to the following:

subd? | Alias                                       | Name
  ------+-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
          | at-bleeding                              | ATrpms bleeding
  Yes  | at-stable                                  | ATrpms stable
  Yes  | dag                                         | Dag Wieers' RPM
repository
  Yes  | fedora-2-i386                         | Fedora Core 2
          | fedora-2-i386-debuginfo        | Fedora Core 2 debuginfo
 Yes  | fedora-stable                           | Fedora Core 2 stable
         | fedora-testing                          | Fedora Core 2 testing
         | fedora-unstable                       | Fedora Core 2 unstable
 Yes  | fedora-updates                        | Fedora Core 2 updates
 Yes  | newrpms                                 | NewRPMS
 Yes  | rcfc2                                        | Red Carpet for
Fedora Core 2
 Yes  | freshrpms                                | freshrpms
 Yes  | livna-stable                             | rpm.livna.org stable
         | livna-testing                            | rpm.livna.org testing
         | livna-unstable                         | rpm.livna.org unstable

When using yum, I downloaded the yum.conf from the faq site and enabled
most of the servers, except for the unstable and testing servers.

In looking at my yum.conf versus the rhn/sources, the servers urls seem
to be different:

fedora core 2
rhn: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/$ARCH/os/
yum: http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

fedora core updates released
rhn:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/$ARCH/
yum: http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

Now red carpet is already subscribed to the yum channels, but the rhn
channels give me a cannot connect error if I try to add them. I get the
same problem the other way around, if I add the yum channels from my
yum.conf to the rhn sources file, then up2date won't work.

red-Carpet error:
"Unable to mount service for
'http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/$ARCH/os/':
Unable to download service info: File not found -
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/$ARCH/os//serviceinfo.xml

(fault -617)"

rhn error:
"There was a fatal error communicating with the server.  The message was:

An HTTP error occurred:
Status Code: 404
Error Message: Not Found"