dual-booting without GRUB or LILO

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Fri Jul 16 17:42:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 09:58, - - s r b - - wrote:
>  From that webpage is the following quote... does this still apply to
> Fedora Core 2 with GRUB?
>
> "The location of the /boot partition on the hard drive is critical so
> that you don't get screwed by the infamous BIOS 1024 cylinder limit
> <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.2>. The BIOS of
> older systems can't access data beyond cylinder 1024, which is ~8.5 GB.

I've had not run into the 1024-cylinder limit problem on any system less
than about 6 years old (Pentium I class), I have several systems were
the linux /boot partition is 30GB or more from the front of the drive.
Your mileage my vary, I would recommend you check the vendors website if
you have a very old system.

Brian Gaynor
Precision MicroControl Corp.

  e-mail: briang at pmccorp.com