yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jul 16 18:16:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 13:57, Gordon Keehn wrote:
>     Once upon a time, a new version (dot-zero) signaled a major change
> of some sort, new kernel, or whatever.  Dot-one through whatever could
> be considered revisions (and hopefully, but not always, improvements) on
> the original theme.  RedHat broke that model with RH9, and Fedora has
> continued the downward trend.

Hey, wait a sec....  Let's be careful about where the blame for this one
goes.  I don't think we can blame Red Hat for the death of traditional
version numbering in products!!

Personally I think it all began when Microsoft made Word jump from 2.0
to 6 (in an effort to leap frog WordPerfect), not to mention the whole
year oriented thingy over there.  And lots not forget the change from
SunOS to Solaris and that whole numbering thing....

>   I'm just nostalgic for the good old days
> when version numbers meant something.

You see it's a conspiracy of those MBA's in marketing that believe the
average consumer is impressed with bigger numbers that has taken us down
this road....  (Methinks that may be how we got RHL 9 instead of 8.1 -
it was the boys and girls in marketing that wanted a number bigger than
Suse....  of course, that's just my conspiracy theories talking....
wait, the cameras are watching me....)

Though I must admit, I too found the old ways simpler.... But perhaps
that's just my age talking.....

--Rob