yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 18:36:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:36:01 -0700, John McBride <jmcbride at ccis.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd post my opinion. Maybe if more people using Fedora
> wanted something different, someone at RedHat might actually listen. Or,
> like you, suggest we go elsewhere. That's a popular response in the
> Linux community..."STFU and go elsewhere, don't complain it's free".

Don't confuse loud for popular. I'm a firm believer in the silent
majority concept.

> Whatever you think of my OP, I think I have a valid point...the gap
> between fedora and enterprise is too wide.

fedoralegacy.org exists, perhaps for you it will fill the gap.

Considering how fast development on several largish projects is moving
like gnome or mozilla, the 6 month time scale for a distribution
release makes some sense...to push development forward and to work on
the larger integration issues at a distribution level. I think people
who want to make comparisons between how Debian and Fedora are
structured underestimate the importantance of (not) having a time
based release schedule as a driving factor in how things get done.

-jef