Can squid solve this problem??

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 19:30:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:17:02PM +0100, Phil Hannent wrote:

> |I hav a dsl connection in my training centre.
> |There are 3 classrooms.
> |I would like 2 block out the internet connection & b able to turn it on
> |for each classroom.

> You just need to add to the squid rules:
>
> http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/access_controls.htm#acl
>
> e.g.
> acl time_acl time M T W H F 9:00-17:00

If this is a classroom you may need to pay  attention
to much more than the range of tools that squid can control.

You should have a firewall between the class room and ANYTHING else.

Students will explore (and steal) anything that they can find.  They
will plug their laptops in to read mail at their office.  Some laptops
will be virus infected.

While you are running a class you need to have absolute control over
the environment to make some types of class material work.

You may want a local http server for instructions, quizzes etc.

You will also need a 'server' that lets you clean reload any blown up
system or student user account very quickly.

For breaks you do want to punch holes in the firewall
to permit access.   Squid can help make a skinny DSL line.
look faster.   Squid is not a firewall....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.