modprobe: Can't open dependencies file

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 16 20:34:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Patrick wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:03:41 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
>
>  I used up2date so I guess it did something as far as upgrading the
> kernel the wrong way. I haven't run anything else as far as the RPM
> package manager (unless up2date ran it).

Up2date is not supporsed to delete the old kernels (in this case
2188). I'm not sure what what the cause for this mess.

> rpm -q kernel gives:    2.4.22-1.2197.mptl
> (this is the same as the directory name under /lib/modules)
>
>  From doing a Google on "reboot to new kernel", it would seem that I
> am going to have to recompile the kernel on my server. Does this sound
> correct? Is this okay to do without being physically there at the
> machine (in case something happens)?

No, just reboot.

You already have kernel-2197 installed - and grub (in /boot/grub/menu.lst)
should have an entry for it.  Now when you reboot - this new version of
the kernel (2197 - which is already installed) will be the active one.

The 2188 kernel that is currently active/running is deleted from the
disk - so you are on some shakey ground. Usually active processes
continue to work (eventhough the files are deleted on disk) - until
some reload from disk is necessary.

>  Also, I don't know if it matters any but I am using Ensim to manage
> my web server (different domains for the same company).

Sorry - don't know about this..

Satish