FC2: SMP problems on IBM X330 server

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Jul 16 23:36:19 UTC 2004

John Wendel <john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil> writes:
> On Friday 16 July 2004 11:02 am, Richard Welty wrote:
> > the kernels i've been using are:
> >
> > $ rpm -q kernel
> > kernel-2.6.6-1.435
> > $ rpm -q kernel-smp
> > kernel-smp-2.6.6-1.435

i saw slightly newer kernels, so i updated. it didn't help.

> > when i try to bring the SMP kernel up, it starts but after it reports

> > using cfq io scheduler

> > ide0 at 0x1f0-01f7, 03f6 on irq 14
> > ide-cd: cmd 0x5a timed out
> > hda: lost interrupt

> Total shot in the dark since I don't have a box like this, but I'd disable DMA
> on the failing device (assuming that it is on).

well, i couldn't find a way to disable DMA in the bios, but i did
physically remove the IDE CD-ROM drive, and it's running
just fine with the SMP kernel.

how to get 2 CPUs *and* a CD-ROM drive at the same time, now that's
the question.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net