passwd -p [Was Re: Create users and groups without password .]

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat Jul 17 00:13:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 17:10, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 17.07.2004 schrieb Kostas Sfakiotakis um 1:57:
>
> > How can someon create a user and a coresponding group without any
> > password . The user isn't needed to have a shell even .
> > Examples for such a case would be user amavis and smrsh , both
> > needed with a sendmail installation  the former in order to intergrate
> > sendmail with amavis for virus checking and the later of course is the
> > sendmail secure shell ?
>
> >    Kostas
>
> Use "useradd" and don't give the user a password, means don't use the
> parameter "-p", nor use "passwd" afterwards.

actually I found out that the -p parameter to passwd don't really do
much for my needs. In the sense that the password it accepts has to be
_pre-encrypted_.

I ended up using echo password | passwd --stdin

PS : I'm writing a stupid bash script to batch add users to the samba
file server. Tired of doing useradd manually. (I found out late that
Linux already has a 'newuser' executable file)

oh well.. Brushing up on my bash/awk skills.

Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 17:10:58 up 5:54, 10 users, load average: 1.84, 1.40, 0.94