official way to recompile kernel

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Sat Jul 17 00:31:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 23:39, Steven Op de beeck wrote:
> Steven Op de beeck wrote:
> > Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > Note: You can edit de .spec file if you don't need smp, and want it to
> > build the kernel source.
>
> Also in the spec file: You might want to add something to
> %define release %(R="$Revision: 1.435.2.3.fury $"; RR="${R##: }"; echo
> ${RR%%?})%{rhbsys}
>
> Like I added fury, or it might not be possible to install the kernel
> on the same system. Maybe if you use --force, or --replacepkgs it
> could work, didn't try that.
>
> --
> mvg,
> Steven

Is there any difference between adding the custom text where you've
demonstrated here versus further down appended to the "Release" field?
That's where I normally put it, but having seen this way, I'm inclined
to believe this is the recommended  way (at least judging from the
comments immediately above that section).

Regards,
Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.