dual-booting without GRUB or LILO

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 01:47:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 13:19, Brian Gaynor wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 10:47, - - s r b - - wrote:
> > Is this with GRUB in the boot partition or the MBR? I assume you mean
> > boot partition, but just want to make sure...
>
> One system uses Bootmagic as the primary bootloader with grub on the
> linux partition, the rest use grub on the MBR to boot various windows
> flavors and linux. In all cases the linux partitions are in the extended
> partition at the end of the disk as they are much less picky than
> Windows (Windows wants to boot from a primary partition).

AFAIK so does Linux. I have never tried to use extended partitions for
/boot so I cannot vouch for it but there was a thread a few days ago
where the poster was asking why he could not boot after doing an install

He had put the /boot partition inside the extended partition.
As soon as he made /boot a primary partition the system booted.