Dell Dimension 4600

kate kate7234 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 01:48:17 UTC 2004

--- Sölvi_Páll_Ásgeirsson <solvi at hugbunadur.is> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list, so please correct me if I'm
> sending to the wrong
> place. I'm thinking about getting a new computer, a
> Dell Dimension 4600
> to be exact.
> Can any of you recommend that particular machine or
> do you know if it
> has any problems with running FC2(Or Linux in
> general?)

Solvi,

What are your needs for the machine? Home-PC w/ light
home/business use; mid size business w/ 20 users? Are
you editing broadcast video?

I build my own. but for you, I need to understand
function. Consider: if the power supply needs
replacing, is this a $40 part, or $140 part coz you
have to order if from a big brand name?

What about upgrading next year? Are you locked in to
their brand offerings, or can you "pick'n'mix." If you
DIY, will that "break the warranty."

Consider cars (autos)-
Many years ago, if you got the oil and filter changed
at anywhere other than the franchise dealer, next time
you went to the dealer they pitched a fit. Today
dealers accept that oil and filter change does not
compromise warranty. We all know that it does not
require "factory trained technicians" to twist off an
oil filter.

Suggestion-
define use, hardware requirements, and build it
yourself.

kate
B.Sc Information Systems