NIC drops all packages

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 02:08:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 19:35, Mark wrote:
> I re-installed the system, network cards are fine (for now).
> Kudzu keeps the configuration, the cards work, no dropped packets any more.
>
> BUT - the machine still locks up on me - seems randomly. Sometimes when I
> call kudzu. Sometimes when I reboot shortly before or after the drives are
> unmounted (don't remember exactly). It does this with and without the NIC
> cards. I can't reproduce the behaviour. Will try to run it idle over the
> weekend and see if it is still reacting on Monday morning.
>
> Strange, strange...
>
> MARK
snip
There are a lot of thinks I have seen do this.

1) ACPI used when APM?? should be used. (or the reverse)
2) Hard drives that spin down and won't spin up again. (see #1, 3)
3) Buggy BIOS or BIOS setup for power management wrong.
   (My system has buggy BIOS and randomly on upgrades will not shut down
properly.)
4) Hard drives, memory, or other hardware going bad.
5) Hardware conflicts (especially on booting).
6) Non-discript bugs.

Look in /var/messages for error messages.
Run memtest (from the grub boot screen)
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>