Updating FC1 using yum

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 17 03:35:48 UTC 2004

Duke wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Been trying all day to update a clean install of FC1 using yum.
>
> Gone tru the motions i.e saved page as in tmp, opened terminal, done the
> following
>
> su -      #(then enter password)
> cd /tmp
> chown root:root yum.conf
> cd /etc
> mv yum.conf yum.conf.old
> mv /tmp/yum.conf /etc
>
> and type yum update. I get  loads of failover and retygrab() failed for:
> messages.
> Last message on line is [Errno 4] I0Error:HTTP Error 404: not found.
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> Regards, Duke

The last line says it all : not found :
you need to verify that the URL's in yum.conf are valid,copy - paste the
URL into your browser and check it, if Error 404 pops up start deleting
a directory from the end of the URL until one works then move forward to
where your going.
I sometimes find that yum does not like '$releasever or $basearch'and
use '1' and 'i386'instead.

   david