Random total lockups

Cyrus Adkisson cadkisson at rooseveltmedia.com
Sat Jul 17 05:14:02 UTC 2004

a) I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with the "you need a
serial console to fix this" answer.

b) What hardware you're running tells what parts of the kernel and which
modules you are using. That's why it's important. Yes, it is probably a
software issue, but indirectly, it could be a hardware issue, too.

There's also the possibility that you have a coincidentally timed power
issue going on. I had about 15 computers running on cheap cases and
power supplies that started locking up hourly at the end of April, right
when the weather (and my apartment) started getting warm. The warm
weather was causing power fluxuations which was causing lockups. As soon
as I moved them into quality case/power supply combos, the problem was
gone. Solid as a rock. But that's kind of off the subject....

What you should do is systematically go through your hardware, replacing
and removing stuff until the lockups go away. Once that happens, you'll
know what the problem is. That's what I did to fix my latest lockup
issue. I took out the ethernet card, still got lockups. Swapped out the
RAM, still got lockups. Moved my USB cable, no more lockups. Pretty easy.

Good luck.

Cyrus