vnc fails on port 5811

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 06:36:44 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Barry Yu said:
>[snip]
>

>>>Do you get any errors when starting VNC?
>>>How about in the VNC log?
>>>Are you trying to use the vncviewer or connect to the VNC HTTP server?
>>>Have you check if something else is listening on any of the ports VNC
>>>needs (use "netstat -at" and check for ports 5811, 5911, 6011).
>>>

>>I didn't see any error message when starting vnc sever, you will see
>>below the ouptput of it. I use menu->accessories->vnc viewer to connect vnc
>>sever, but using browser to connect also failed. And at my current level I
>>can't see anything causing the problem as per your instruction;
>>
>>Here below is netstat output;
>>

>FWIW you don't need the 5811, because netstat shows you all the ports.
>

>>[root at fc2-station-1 root]# netstat -at 5811
>>Active Internet connections (servers and established)
>>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address    State
>>

>[snip]
>

>>tcp        0      0 *:5811                  *:*                LISTEN
>>

>[snip]
>

>>tcp        0      0 *:5911                  *:*                LISTEN
>>

>[snip]
>

>> tcp        0      0 *:6011                  *:*               LISTEN
>>

>Hmm.  Everything looks ok here.  I should have had you run "netstat -atp" to verify that it is VNC listening, but I bet it is.
>
>[snip]
>

>>Here is the log and I don't know what it is telling;
>>
>>Xvnc version 4.0b4 - built Apr 14 2004 12:42:18
>>Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc
>>Fri Jul 16 09:36:53 2004
>>vncext:      VNC extension running!
>>vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5911
>>vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5811
>>vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
>>error opening security policy file
>>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
>>Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
>>from list! SESSION_MANAGER=local/fc2-station-1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3945
>>Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.
>>/usr/share/rhn/rhn_applet/rhn_applet.py:362: DeprecationWarning: integer
>>argument expected, got float self.animate_timeout_tag =
>>gtk.timeout_add(math.floor(1000 * ANIMATION_TOTAL_TIME/len(frames)),
>>self.animate_handler)
>>

>This looks pretty normal.  The "Window manager warning" is a known issue with rhn-applet.
>
>I don't see any attempts to connect in the log file, though.  Had you just started the server?
>
>You might also attempt to telnet into the VNC port (from fc2-station-1):
>
>telnet localhost 5911
>
>Possibly you have a firewall blocking access from another PC?

I can telnet from remote machine to vnc server without problem.

Here are 2 results of telnet ;

root at fc2-station-1 root]# telnet localhost:5911
localhost:5911/telnet: Name or service not known

root at fc2-station-1 root]# telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
Kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 on an i686
login: barry
Password:
Last login: Fri Jul 16 23:03:05 from fc2-station-1

How do I trace the block of firewall?