Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Sat Jul 17 14:34:45 UTC 2004

> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:40:04 -0400
> From: Mathew Brown <mbrown0420 at sympatico.ca>
> And yes, Wal-Mart does sell linux loaded pc's so expect not only joe
> 6-pack but his wife that yse to be his sister and their 4.3 children to
> ask a lot dumber things than i did.

Nice rhetoric and really good use of imagery, but a bit mean and rife
with stereotypes.

Wal-Mart is the biggest business in America, perhaps in the world, and
it didn't get that way by being a stupid consumer choice.  In fact, many
computer programmers who never even had a sister, much less married one,
shop there.  Some Fedora users, in fact - I'm one, and I just was at
Wal-Mart last night.  Didn't see one customer there married to his
sister, either.

My point is that flaming and flame-baiting won't get you a better
response.  Believe me, I know this - I do my share of flaming, just
because it's sooooo satisfying sometimes.  But no list/newsgroup member
has ever respected me for it.  (Some have, however, answered my
questions thoughtfully and helpfully anyway - nothing teaches humility
better than to get a measured, sympathetic, helpful response after
having been a complete asshole.  At least, I hope it will.)

Others have responded to your Fedora questions quite well; in fact, I
learned a thing or two myself from their responses.  I'd like to
recommend a few pointers for flaming, though.

First of all, avoid cultural and racial stereotypes.  There's no place
for that kind of prejudice in the modern world.

Proper flames and flame-bait pick on individual characteristics of the
person you are attacking.  Chances are, the person you hoped to enrage
either doesn't shop at Wal-Mart or is not incestuous.  Your point will
not get under their skin.  Aim your contempt squarely and precisely on
the intended target so that they realize you are picking apart their
personal, individual flaws.  The shoe will fit; they'll be forced to
wear it.

Second, be clever.  The best flame will enrage a person twice - once for
being insulting and twice for being so well done that they have to
admire it anyway.

Also, lists and newsgroups are public fora.  If your flame is stupid or
crude, you are boring many people.  At least if you're witty or subtle
you provide entertainment for the captive audience.

Third, remain friendly if you can.  There's a good chance if you met
your target face to face you'd be friendly, even while trading
witticisms.  Let the poor schnook know that you don't hate them or even
have true contempt for them; you're simply engaging in an ego exercise
to let the world know how sharp you can be, just as I'm doing here.

If someone flames you back, well, that's what happens when you open the
door.  At least you can set a standard that allows forward progress
while the sardonic retorts fly through cyberspace.

All that said, I've had my share of Fedora difficulties, too.  All of us
here have, I'll bet.  Please receive and appreciate the genuine sympathy
and willingness to help most people on this list have for each other,
even when a person loses it and publicly whines.  There really is space
even for whining in this community, if you don't turn rabid on those
extending help.

I hope you will achieve some satisfaction with Fedora; it'd be nice for
you to gain the benefits it provides.  I hope you can begin to use this
list to empower your progress, and that my 2 cents here are more helpful
than harmful.