package resolvers cannot see unpackaged software (was: yum and linked libs)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jul 17 14:44:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 03:10:41PM +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Does yum have problems with links (ln -s) updating mplayer from atrpms
> and this happens
>
> Package mplayer needs libGL.so.1, this is not available.
> Package mplayer needs libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1, this is not available.
>
> So I ls -l on the libs
>
> [david at reddwarf david]$ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 17 Jul 14 12:11 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ->
> libGL.so.1.0.6106
>
> [david at reddwarf david]$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 25 Jul 11 15:30
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.6106
>
> I see they are nvidia libs but that should not affect yum,I ran ldconfig
> to no effect.How do I get around this

You probably have installed the nvidia driver from the installer and
not from rpms.

This is a general issue with packaged vs non-packaged bits on your
system: non-packaged software is invisible to the package manager.

I suggest to uninstall the nvidia driver and use the rpms at
http://ATrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net