Seting up a desktop as a router.

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Jul 17 14:52:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 23:04, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> Hi, where I live we have several PC's and have decided to get an ADSL
> connection.  What do I need to do to set up my FC2 machine as a router
> for the windows PC's?  Thinking using squid for every one as well...
>
> --
> Rob Brown-Bayliss

> Despite the cost of living, it remains a popular pastime.

What I did was set up an old box with two nics plugged one into the DSL
"modem" the other into a plain hub.  On the old 486 I ran
http://www.freesco.org it will run on as little as one floppy 386 with 6
MB of ram.  It's a snap to set up, just answer the questions Freesco
asks.  The name is a joke: free Cisco, the guy thought Cisco charged too
much for routers so he made this.

Check with your ISP on how to set up your DSL modem, I had to change
mine to bridging, then set up the network to the router.

Tim...