FC2 graphical installer -> monitor goes blank (no signal)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 17 17:05:38 UTC 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 11:17, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>the installer detects my video card properly, but then detects
> "unknown monitor".  then it tries to start X and my monitor goes
> blank (gets no signal).
>
>i tried starting the installer with the line "linux acpi=off
> apm=off" because having those on have caused problems with starting
> X causing the monitor to lose signal.
>
>any ideas?  thanks for the help.

Older monitors that cannot be queried for their identity will need to
be setup in Xorg.conf in a manner similar to this:
-----------------
Section "Monitor"
        # Option "dpms"
        Identifier   "NEC MultiSync 5FG"
        VendorName   "NEC"
        ModelName    "MultiSync 5FG"
        HorizSync    27-79
        VertRefresh  55-90
        ModeLine     "1600x1200/60Hz" 162 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200
1201 1204 1250  +HSync +VSync
EndSection
-----------------
Find somehow, the range of HorizSync frequencies your monitor can
handle, also the range of VertRefresh and change the above figures to
suit.  Don't guess!  Some monitors like this NEC are tough old birds,
and can tolerate the slower horizontal frequencies quite well, but
many of the cheaper ones might be destroyed by useing that 27 khz low
limit, so you may want to spec a minimum of 30 there.

And that ModeLine may push some video cards to the wall so you may
want to try a lower resolution at first.  I'd suggect trying a
1024x768 modeline, then move up once you see a nice sharp display at
1024x768.

HTH

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.