hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 20:07:18 UTC 2004

Looks like someone was trying to brute-force their way into your computer.
It also looks like they failed. Not a very smart attack, really.

host 130.120.81.14
14.81.120.130.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pyxis.ups-tlse.fr.

then run

whois ups-tlse.fr

and you can get the contact info of their provider. Probably not very
effective, or even necessary. If you want to have a little fun, you can
run nmap (or xnmap) on them.

You should investigate further whether they broke in or not. I would
venture to say it's unlikely. If you want though, you can re-install the
rpm package itself from the cd, then using the pristine rpm, verify the
crucial packages on your system, like

rpm -V procps
rpm -V net-tools

etc. If you see errors, then you should start to worry. Normally, the best
advice is to reformat the system partitions (/, /usr, etc.) and
re-install. You can keep the data partitions like /home).