How and where is /mnt/flash defined?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sat Jul 17 23:30:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

  I've noticed in default workstation installations the system
autodetects, say, a card reader and makes an appropriate mount point.

  Now, my system isn't exactly standard, I've been upgrading ever since
one of the last FC2 test releases and somewhere way before notice that
capacity I always added, by hand and ever since somewhere by the time of
Red Hat 9, the entries in /etc/fstab for my card reader. I have been
riding the rawhide rpms and I am fully aware things might go not so well
at a given time :)

  But now I'm curious, I don't want to shatter none of the installations
I have available and I can't get it to work over here.

  The card reader is well defined, it seems, HAL reports it as a

0d7d  Phison Electronics Corp.
        0240  I/O Magic Drive

according to hal-device-manager and /usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids

udevd creates the appropriate entries, dbus is running but...

... When I plug the card reader with a compact flash card, I don't see
the mount point nor the Nautilus icon (since the former isn't there of
course).

Finding this weird, I try to see what goes on dbus-monitor --system, but
it shows me nothing, so I suspect udvd is not broadcasting the device to
dbus, is this a correct assumption?

Now this is a problem, and I suspect strongly that it's _my_ problem,
but I'd like to figure it out so it can help me understand what's going
on.

And, BTW, how is udevd started on boot? I can't find any references on
the rc scripts nor on strings /sbin/init

Hugs, Rui

+ So let's do it...?