yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 01:47:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 01:55:59AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jeff Ratliff wrote:
>
> > I'm sure the developers would have liked to test on a wider range
> > of machines, but testing is voluntary. You have yet to propose a
> > solution to this problem.
>
> I did actually make a suggestion,
> namely that it should be ensured as far as possible
> that the test distributions could be upgraded to the final distribution.
>
> I would run the test distributions if that were the case,
> and I imagine there are many more like me.

I've updated over 94 packages since I installed FC3T1 two
days ago, including 2 new kernels. Who knows how much cruft and
broken stuff will be there by October? It just doesn't seem possible
to guarantee a test release will be upgradable without seriously
hampering testing. I plan on wiping the parition, installing FC2
and upgrading to FC3test with each test release, so that anaconda
can be tested. If the installer was sufficiently tested, things
like the dual-boot bug probably wouldn't have gotten out the door.

My guess is that most people will be upgrading from FC2 to FC3,
and that's what testing is trying to target.