hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Sun Jul 18 11:39:56 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 20:41, John Dangler wrote:
>
>>I haven't started looking at the 'root' mail yet, since I haven't figured a
>>way to get the email client to read the root from the local system.
>>I did find the man page on logwatch and am reading up on it.

> The easiest way to read root email is to login or su to the root user
> and execute the command:  mail
>
> This is a text based email client.

Even easier is to have root's mail forwarded to a regular user.  E.g.,
in /etc/mail/aliases:

   # Person who should get root's mail
   root: john at os2.dhs.org

Run "newaliases" after editing this file and root's mail will be
forwarded to the specified user, where it will appear in their regular
inbox.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)