Yum and RPM with FC2

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 18 12:33:18 UTC 2004

Tim and Alison wrote:

> I have had to rebuild my FC2 box and tried to use YUM to update the
> packages.
> It has downloaded all the new RPM files but I am getting the following
> error when it tries to install the packages
>
>  error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     286 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID 4f2a6fd2

I've no idea how to solve your problem,
but it reminds me how bad the error messages in yum are -
if it works (as it does 90% of the time) it is a marvellous resource.
But if it fails, you can be sure the error message will be unintelligible.

This is a general fault with Linux, I think
(and to a lesser extent with Windows) -
few developers seem to consider when penning their error messages
what is likely to help someone who encounters the error.
Frequently the error message seems to be a message to the developer
rather than to anyone else.

I think all error messages should try to advise the reader
what action he might take, if that is at all possible.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366