hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?

Chris Ruprecht chrisr at ruprecht.org
Sun Jul 18 15:28:24 UTC 2004

Scott, Thomas,

the first option is not to run vsftpd at all. There is nothing vsftpd
can do, which you can not do using sftp to log into you box. sftp,
afaik, sits on top of ssh and in the years of running my Linux box,
nobody ever broke that. You don't need a separate ftp server to run it,
as long as you have ssh enabled and port 22 open, it'll work.

If you need an ftp client which supports sftp (when you're at work or
something equally annoying :) try filezilla (Windoze). It might not be
the best ftp client out there, but it's free and it gets the job done.

Best regards,
Chris