Radeon + AMD Irongate

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Jul 18 16:18:00 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a system which
uses the Shuttle AI61 main board which utilizes the AMD Irongate 751/756
Chipset. This system also has an ATI 8500le video adapter and a Sony
GDM-400PS monitor. Whenever I try to use the radeon driver with DRI
enabled my system goes completely dead. The monitor thinks the system is
turned off, the keyboard is dead and only the reset button can bring the
system back to life. Everything works okay if I comment out the Load
"dri" line in xorg.conf.

I was doing a Google search and found the following URL that appears to
describe my very problem:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=221904&group_id=387&atid=100387

This problem appeared to be fixed circa the fall of 2001. However, I am
experiencing the very same problem with FC2 and Xorg 6.7.0-5. I haven't
checked the source code yet, but plan on doing so. If I find that I can
patch the radeon_accel.c and radeon_cp.c code per the bug 211904 report
I will attempt that. I would be interested to know if anyone else is
experiencing this problem and if so how you might have worked around it.

Interestingly bug 211904 wasn't closed until 2004-04-21 17:55 ... nearly
2.5 years after the solution was supposedly found.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)