FC2: iiimecf-init.el file delays loading emacs vs. FC1

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sun Jul 18 19:27:13 UTC 2004

On a freshly installed FC2 machine, when I run emacs as a user, there is
a file named iiimecf-init.el that seems to delay emacs significantly,
compared with my FC1 machine. I never noticed such a file being loaded
with emacs and FC1.

The file is located in:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d

I've google'd for what this file is supposed to be doing, and didn't
come up with much for an answer. It seems to be related to international
language support.

http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/fedora/2/i386/iiimf-emacs-11.4-43.i386.html

Does anyone know what I can do to get emacs to behave like it did in
FC1? I'm not an emacs "power user," but depend on it for writing and
editing LaTeX files, and this delay in opening emacs is annoying. I'm
not likely going to need international language support for the papers I
have to write.

Additionally, I have wondered why when emacs is run when logged in as
root, it is the familiar dark-slate-grey background with wheat text, but
when it is run as a non-root user, it has a white background?

Thanks,
Clint