yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 19:30:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 01:39:29PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > My guess is that most people will be upgrading from FC2 to FC3,
> > and that's what testing is trying to target.
>
> I don't understand the relevance of this remark,
> or indeed what it means.
> Note that the question was, did I have any suggestion
> how the number of _testers_ could be increased.

I admit I didn't do a good job explaining myself. You said you'd be
more likely to test if you could upgrade from a test release. My
point was that if we concentrate on making a test release upgradeable
to a full release, we don't test the installer.

At any rate all these issues have been on my mind the past few days,
and I admit you have changed my perspective. I still disagree with
many of your disagreements with the Fedora way of doing things, but
you are right that there needs to be more testing. I just wrote a
page and a half on fedora-test-list in response to a post about why
traffic on that list is so low. I do think there should be more
testing, and testing should be easier to get involved with. I proposed
that we should do more to encourage people to test, and that we
should have a plan in place to educate people on how to test
effectively. I feel like since I opened my mouth, and have a couple
spare boxes to test on I need to get involved in helping make this
happen. I understand you (and others) may not be in that position.

Your opinions have caused me to think a lot in the last few days, and
again I don't agree with a lot of it, but you have earned my respect.