Linux equivalent of DeLorme Street Atlas?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 18 20:29:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:44:12 -0400, Ben Vitale wrote:

> Can anyone suggest mapping software like DeLorme Street Atlas or
> Microsoft Streets & Trips which is available for Fedora/Linux?

A rumor reached me that Codeweavers software could now actually handle the
Delorme itself. What I downloaded refused to install under Fedora at all;
and insofar as it did install on an RH9 machine (for one user only), it
failed to install either DeLorme or any other I have (several, including
the Garmin -- both road and topo -- that can upload to an etrex vista
model Garmin GPS. I did not try straight Wine, which still seems more than
a bit beyond me; but there was a regular on one of the wine lists who
seemed to suppose (without trying afaik) that it would do better ...

Please report any success here! My investment in GPS/PC CDs is the one
thing I miss in my blissful freedom from MegaSleaze.

Btw, last time I looked (months ago), gpsdrive seemed from its message
board to have become primarily a haunt of wardrivers. Since you specify
streets, you may be interested; it sounded pretty hopeless to me, being
interested in topo maps for hunting -- meaning that it doesn't fit my
need, not that there's anything wrong with it.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Keep in mind that I know precious little of what I'm asking about!