KVM Trouble, Mouse Gone Wild

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 22:22:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 01:10:12PM -0400, Yang Xiao wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:24:50 -0400, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 10:08, Yang Xiao wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm running FC2 Kenel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3. I'm using a Belkin SOHO series
> > > 4 port KVM switch (with the latest firmware)and everytime when I
> > > switch the ports, the mouse goes wild and the mouse driver complains
> > > in the log:
> >
> > Check the archives for discussion of this exact topic for more details.
> >
> > You can try adding:
> >
> > psmouse.proto=imps
> >
> > to your kernel options.  It has worked for some.  You may also want to
> > try bare instead of imps if imps does not work.
> >
> > (IMHO, Belkin KVMs should be avoided, they appear to have more problems
> > than other KMMs)
> >
> Hi,
> That did the trick, thanks!

Of interest all mice are not created equal.
Be specific about the involved mouse, keyboard and KVM.
Be specific about the OS versions on each of the KVM ports
Be specific about the OS drivers in each box.

If you install extended service drivers on Box-A and not on Box-B
there is a risk that the mode set in the device (keyboard or mouse)
will be in conflict.  This may be why "psmouse.proto=imps" fixes
things.

Also some KVM's trigger a device reset during some changes.  Avoid
switching devices with the devices.  For example, use the buttons on
the KVM not the hot keys to switch.  If bits are flowing at the time
the KVM switches the new host must recover and perhaps reset things.

Pay attention to USB and bluetooth present and future products.  These
connections have the potential of being much more robust.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.