Oddities w/ Sound, Video Effects FC2 -- mobo-related??

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Jul 19 14:33:38 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:
[...]
> If you are running gnome, try modprobing pcspkr.  That should restore
> your system bell.  There are some comments about how to do this
> permanently in the archives.  I don't remember exactly, rc.modules comes
> to mind.

Thanks for the tip about that thread. when I ran # sbin/modprobe pcspkr
I got my system bell back, but there are two unusual things related:

a) the sound is coming from my desktop speakers/subwoofer rather than
the built-in speaker that beeps when a shutdown is done.

b) I created a /etc/rc.modules file that contained the one line
modprobe pcspkr
saved it and rebooted. But the system bell wasn't there. I restored it
again with # /sbin/modprobe pcspkr. Do I have the line correct in my
/etc/rc.modules file? Should it be /sbin/modprobe pcspkr?

> As far as the antspotlight screen saver:  I just tried it on my
> proprietary laden driver ATI 9500 and noticed that the spotlight is
> pretty dim.  Forgive me for asking, is your monitor brightness up high
> enough?

Yes, but I think I have some more information that might help
trouble-shoot what is going on. When I try the flipscreen3D screensaver,
it's just displaying a white rectangle. This leads me to believe that
what is really happening is that the underlying screen is not being
picked up.

I looked in the Advanced settings of the screensaver, and the box for
Grab Desktop Images is checked. I have now tried unchecking and
rechecking both the Grab Desktop Images and the Grab Video Frames boxes,
but the symptoms are the same: for screensavers that use the desktop
image, the desktop images is not being detected by the screensaver.

Clint