Oddities w/ Sound, Video Effects FC2 -- mobo-related??

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 19 16:35:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 10:33, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Bob Chiodini wrote:
> [...]
> > If you are running gnome, try modprobing pcspkr.  That should restore
> > your system bell.  There are some comments about how to do this
> > permanently in the archives.  I don't remember exactly, rc.modules comes
> > to mind.
>
> Thanks for the tip about that thread. when I ran # sbin/modprobe pcspkr
> I got my system bell back, but there are two unusual things related:
>
> a) the sound is coming from my desktop speakers/subwoofer rather than
> the built-in speaker that beeps when a shutdown is done.
>
> b) I created a /etc/rc.modules file that contained the one line
> modprobe pcspkr
> saved it and rebooted. But the system bell wasn't there. I restored it
> again with # /sbin/modprobe pcspkr. Do I have the line correct in my
> /etc/rc.modules file? Should it be /sbin/modprobe pcspkr?
>

> > As far as the antspotlight screen saver:  I just tried it on my
> > proprietary laden driver ATI 9500 and noticed that the spotlight is
> > pretty dim.  Forgive me for asking, is your monitor brightness up high
> > enough?
>
> Yes, but I think I have some more information that might help
> trouble-shoot what is going on. When I try the flipscreen3D screensaver,
> it's just displaying a white rectangle. This leads me to believe that
> what is really happening is that the underlying screen is not being
> picked up.
>
> I looked in the Advanced settings of the screensaver, and the box for
> Grab Desktop Images is checked. I have now tried unchecking and
> rechecking both the Grab Desktop Images and the Grab Video Frames boxes,
> but the symptoms are the same: for screensavers that use the desktop
> image, the desktop images is not being detected by the screensaver.
>
> Clint

Clint,

It can't hurt to fully qualify the modprobe command in rc.modules.  Also
check the permissions of rc.modules.  I think execute ACLs are
required.  Any errors in dmesg or the syslog?

More info at:   http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=123927

As to the sound coming from your desktop speakers, try lowering the gain
of the speaker in your mixer.

For the screen saver:  In the advanced tab, what is fade to black set
to?  I have it checked, and antspotlight, as well as the other desktop
grabbing screen savers work.  It might be that I am using the ATI
proprietary driver.

Bob...