serving pop3

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Jul 19 17:15:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:08:25 -0400, "Jonathan T. Steadman"
<fedoracore at stny.rr.com> wrote:

>well I think it is working, because I sent a test email from hotmail
>last night and dont have a mail deliver failure notice or whatever, but
>I still dont get how to add usernames, I am also behind a firewall so in
>evolution I typed in myusr at 192.168.2.4, for creating usr and passwords i
>do think i use mysql do I?  I used an example someone gave me for these
>lines so I dont know...
>
>auth_userdb = passwd
>auth_passdb = pam

those lines will validate users against the local account file (e.g.,
/etc/passwd) using pam.  If your users have local accounts, then they'd login
to retrieve mail with userid and password as they exist on the system. If
you're using virtual users with accounts recorded in an sql database, then you
have to choose different options for authenticating users and for maintaining
your users.

Dovecot has nothing to do with whether mail *sent* into your system is
delivered. It provides services for your users to retrieve mail from the
system.

Read the dovecot.conf file and the docs on the dovecot website to find out how
to use other user databases (e.g., ldap, sql) if that's what you need.
--
   Steve