possible imap problem

Avram Aumick avi at m-issues.org
Mon Jul 19 19:24:40 UTC 2004

I am not sure exactly what is the problem. I have tried as best as I can
to trace the problem which occurred after installing fc2 (I did a new
install rather than an upgrade).

Whenever I try to run evolution, sylpheed, or squirrelmail and the account
that it is trying to connect to is an imap account (I only have them
connected to that type of an account), I get the message "IMAP server
mail.mydomain.org, could not connect to mail.mydomain.org (port 143)
connection refused."

In my iptables it is suppose to accept port 143 and in the hosts.allow
file I have it set to accept. I do not get any errors in my message file.

I do get the message when I run "service dovecot status", "dovecot dead
but subsys locked". this concerns me but I am not sure why it does that.

What am I missing? what should I check? This is the first time I am using
dovecot so I don't know if this is the answer.

One more thing. I can retrieve email using kmail, but it does not use
imap, just uses the /var/spool/mail/username.

Avram