rivafb and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1 with the kernel#2.6.6-1.435.2.1

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Tue Jul 20 05:40:12 UTC 2004

Greetings,

When installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1 on the
2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernel I get a message saying that rivfb must be
disabled in the kernel. But I can continue but conflict between the
rivfb and nvidia drivers may occur, or some thing like that anyway.

If I run lspci the rivfb module is not loaded.
But if I run "X" from the command line in runlevel 3 to test, it works
but then my prompt doesn't come back when I exit X.

I also noticed the problem if I am in gnome and do a <ctrl><alt><f1> the
console is is unusable.
The question is this, is there a better kernel rpm available or must I
recompile my kernel without rivafb (where I always get errors on make
modules_install). ?
I used apt-get to get my kernel from one of the following sources for
apt:
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/2/i386 core updates freshrpms
rpm http://apt.sw.be fedora/2/en/i386 dag
rpm http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/2 i386 stable bleeding