Booting from USB external hard disk

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Tue Jul 20 06:05:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:30:51 -0700, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>
wrote:

>> > Found this, but didn't work for me. Perhaps for you it does.
>> >
>> > http://www.benusa.com/linux/boot.htm
>>
>> Found it also. Alot of it made sense, but unfortunately didn't work for
>> me either. I didn't have his exact setup though (didn't remove the
>> drives)and couldn't get  around the problems with it.
>
> I managed to make it work the 2nd time around.. Heck, even got suse9.1
> to boot from it.
>
> BUt this is after I loaned a friends' casing. My original sarotech cutie
> casing didn't work. it was always giving me errors. (errors which I
> didn'tsee whenever I  plug in my drive in rh9 with 2.6.3 kernel.

Got it going with Suse 9.1 - it all came down to missing kernel modules
for the
usb stuff in the initrd image. Will try it with FC2 later. Ben's
instructions are for the
most part pretty good, although I needed to add the usbcore module as well
(usb-storage
and ehci-hcd depended on it). Also had to make sure my grub was installed
on the MBR
of /dev/sda rather than on the first boot partition.

Thanks for the note - it kept me going when I may have given up!

Cheers,
Daniel.

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com
http://members.optusnet.com.au/stonierd/