Graphical boot gone awry

Sachin Rase sachinrase at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:33:32 UTC 2004

Hi there ,

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:19:42 -0500, Andrew Robinson <awrobinson at cox.net> wrote:
> My graphical boot (rhgb) has somehow gone awry. Instead of either the
> image of the workstation or the window showing the boot messages, all I
> get is a black screen with the X-Windows "X" cursor in the center. It's
> like the graphical boot program has lost a configuration file and it
> doen't know what to display. My attempts to troubleshoot the problem
> have run into a sort of brick wall. There does not seem to be much
> information on rhgb available. Can someone offer a suggestion as to what
> I might have done or how I might find out what I've done?

Me too had same problem when  with FC1 when i tried to upgarde the gnome
from 2.4 to 2.6 from tgz files .
In my case i have damange the Display mangeer setting GDM so i was not
geting regular
rhgb prg output .
so i had tried my luck as i have alter the line in inittab as

"x:5:respawn:kill -9 39;kdm "

as my rhgb was havin process id of 39 at boot sequcence
and i have used kdm instead of gdm as i was having problem with GDM

so morle of  story  is check you DM diskplay manager setting (KDM, GDM )

HTH
Sachin Rase
GNU\Linux enthusiast
91-9819246569