modprobe <module>

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jul 20 13:48:58 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 20.07.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 8:19:

> Maybe a stupid question but if I were to modprobe a driver, it loads, it
> works, I reboot it dont work!

What means "don't work"? You mean you are unable to modprobe the driver
again or do you mean the driver module does not load automatically? I
suspect you blame the last.

> Which config file does one edit I have tried /etc/modprobe.conf but the
> I get errors on boot so I assume if this is the correct file that my
> syntax is wrong.

The /etc/modprobe.conf file is not for autoloading modules. See "man
modprobe.conf". The file entries must follow a specific syntax.

> as you can see I might be a bit confused could someone set me straight
> please

If you want specific modules being autoloaded at boot time you might
create a script file /etc/rc.modules - yes, this was already discussed
here on the list - and put in there the command "modprobe foo". Such a
command would be misplaced and being wrong in the modprobe.conf.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 15:45:01 up 19:36, 8 users, 0.03, 0.03, 0.02