Email Signatures

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Jul 20 14:21:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:14 -0400, ne... wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2004 at 15:03, Douglas Furlong in a soothing rage wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:54 +0100, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> >> Good afternoon.
> >>
> >> Some one mentioned several months ago, that there is a "standard" way of
> >> having signatures appear on an email, so that when replying the original
> >> signature is stripped, and as such prevents constant duplication of
> >> redundant data.
> >>
> >> I thought this was stipulated by having "-- " in a line of it's own
> >> above the signature, but that does not appear to work. If any one knows
> >> of an RFC on this, I would appreciate a link to it (I had a quick look
> >> but couldn't find any thing).
> That would depend on the MUA used. I use pine and all such
> .sigs get stripped from my replies. I know that with Groupwise
> up to version 6.4 this is not the case. Or at least I can't get
> it to strip .sigs, add '>' for lines quoted and put the cursor
> at the bottom of the msg.

I'm seeing if i can get it working with an outlook client, however
evolution will not remove it's signature. I'm guessing this is because
it's placed at the top of the email with the reply, and evolution is
being clever (as it should) and deciding not to delete the entire email.

> >I just want to check that there is no "strange" attachment to my email other then the gpg signature?
> Apart from line length I got it fine.

I noticed this while replying to my own email, I can't seem to replicate
the problem, other then it happens at time. I don't send HTML based
email, so I'm not entirely sure what's causing it.

> >I've just got a bounce with the following subject.
> >
> >                           Subject:
> >Symantec Mail Security detected that
> >you sent a message containing a
> >suspicious attachment.
> >(SYM:02629890341371604646)
> I suspect that this is a virus that was sent from someone
> who had your e-mail address in their addressbook. That's
> the in thing these for viruses and worms...
>
> N.Emile...
> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org)
> Switch to: http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/190653
> narcolepulacyi, n.:
> 	The contagious action of yawning, causing everyone in sight
> 	to also yawn.
> 		-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends
>  10:09:38  up 22 days,  3:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
Nope, when I sent my reply to my self (bad form I know), I got a similar
email (obviously slightly different as it's responding to a different
email). So it's not some one sending out emails with my details as the
reply to/from.

Thanks any way :)
--
Douglas Furlong