Simple database

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 15:50:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 09:32, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, VJ wrote:
>
> > You can use MySQL / PostgreSQL for that. For front-end you may use Kylix,
> > C++, or even have a php based page using local apache for data entry.
>
> That's not exactly a 'simple database'
>
> However, you can get a very much access-like interface, for simple or
> complex use, to PostgreSQL - called pgaccess, I think.

I had problems trying to build pgaccess on FC2.  The wxWindows package
was using internal gtk+ calls that are no longer exported.  As such the
build of pgaccess would fail.

There are several people working on fixing this.  Just today I pulled a
new snap shot of the wxWindows package to try and build it.  Probably
won't have time until later this week.

I did build pgaccess on a Redhat 8.0 system and can connect to
postgresql database that resides on a FC2 box.

If you are going the route of using postgresql (good database btw) then
you will probably find creating a PHP front end is the best way to
access your database.  It will require writing some code in PHP but once
it is setup it works very nicely.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.  It just stops you
from enjoying it.