Core 2: USB storage problem ("can't read superblock)

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 16:04:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 10:53, Xia Bin wrote:
> I missed this:
>
> I pluged my flash into another PC with Windows XP. At first Windows
> detected a new hardware, and a "Removalbe Disk" icon appeared in "My
> Computer" folder. But when I double clicked that icon, a dialog window
> poped up and said:"Please insert disk into driver X:"
>
> And for the cylinder size, yes, it was reported as ZERO :(, but I've
> used it for no more than twenty times in the past 2 year. That is unfair :(

A while back I picked up a 256MB thumb drive.  Tried it first on my
linux system and it seemed to work.  Then tried it on a windows box and
found I could not see the files I had loaded on it from the linux
system.

After messing around with it I found that I needed to format it using a
fat32 type file system.  After that both linux and windows could read it
just fine.

So hopefully you don't have any files on it that are not backed up
somewhere else.  Try reformatting it as a fat32 format and test it
again.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com