re sharing

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Jul 20 21:00:19 UTC 2004

On Tuesday July 20, 2004 at 10:22 a.m. "Wolfgang" <wolfgang at rpi.net.au>
wrote:
> But the one thing that confuses me is that, when I try to mount the nfs
> share from the client machine, I keep getting a "permission denied"
> message. (For the purpose of the test, both systems have been setup as
> the root user. Until I understand better how this is supposed to work,
> and the man pages, don't seem to make any sense to me either.)
>
> Also, the other confusing thing is that, it's suggested to setup the
> /etc/exports file as such:- (or use nfs server config tool)
>
> /name_of_directory 192.168.0.3(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> The mount it on the client as:-
>
> mount 192.168.0.4:/name_of_directory/ /mount_point
>
> The above configuration and mount setup, doesn't make sense. If the
> server address is x.x.x.3 and it's mounted as x.x.x.4! It's not
> possible, from what I can see here.
>
> Any other ideas/help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Wolf,

Server with /etc/exports file:  192.168.0.3

You might try using adding a permanent mount line in your clients'
/etc/fstab files with the "users" option:

192.168.0.3:/name_of_NFS_shared_directory/ /local_mount_point  nfs  \
noauto,users,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr  0  0
       ^^^^^

Hope this helps...

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                          -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov