serving pop3

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jul 20 21:38:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 21:51, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:34 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>
> > After making the change, while still in /etc/mail, type
> >
> >   make -C /etc/mail
> >
> > When that finishes
> >
> >   /sbin/service sendmail restart
>
> Actually, just the above command is all you need to do, not both.
> service command will take care of the make -c stuff automatically.
>
> --
> Mike Chambers

Mike,

Exactly where in the code for the service command does it call the make
command??

I looked through that code and I see nowhere that it does anything other
than call the init script to manage the services.  And I KNOW that
/etc/init.d/sendmail does not call a make command itself.

Unless you can point to the exact portion of code that does this I will
continue to believe that I must do the "make -C /etc/sendmail" command
myself and will recommend to others that they do the same.

Jeff