trailing blank line in a text file

Olga olga at urbantimes.net
Tue Jul 20 23:31:39 UTC 2004

>> Can anybody tell me what is going on? Why do I get the trailing blank
>> line.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Olga
>
> What are you using to edit the files in question? I know that
> in FC2 and I think FC1, emacs asks you when you edit a file if
> you want a blank line inserted at the end. Could this be what
> you're seeing?
>
> Alex White

I have not tried emacs. I originally edited the files with nano. But later
in order to get rid of that trailing blank line I used vim, nano, gedit
and mc. Only in mc I was able to eliminate it. However, the server where
the files are does not have mc (installing it is not an option). With
gedit I see that there's an empty line at the end, I delete it, save the
file, but when I reopen it, it's there again.
So I am still puzzled.